Despite the internet being at my fingertips I decided that instead of researching the etymology of grilled cheese, actually grilling a cheese sandwhich sounded much more rewarding. Since I needed to make a full meal out of it and we had some broccoli I thought if I added bacon I’d have the rendered grease leftover to cook the broccoli in (or perhaps it was just an excuse to cook more bacon?).
I started with some foil and crinkle cut fries on the top rack since I knew they’d take the longest. Then came the bacon. I actually cooked up some extra to make sure I’d have enough grease for the broccoli and leftovers for my wife when she got home.
While the bacon was cooking I had slices some sourdough bread, buttered what would be the outsides of the sandwhich, and prepared some Colby Jack cheese slices.
Once the bacon was done I set it aside and added in the broccoli, tossing it with a spatula to evenly distribute the grease and start it cooking. I added the bacon to the sandwiches and slid them on to the hot grill.
At first I was too cautious and had the heat too low. Turning it back up helped toast the bread before the cheese could melt off the sides of the sandwich.
You can believe it, it tasted as good as it looks. On my next batch I’ll go a bit heavier on the cheese to help counterbalance the extra crisp of a truly grilled cheese sandwhich. We don’t do grilled cheese very often so it’s pretty safe to say that from now on when I do, it will be truly grilled cheese!
Recently I’ve been working a new project called ‘Lunchbox’. Basically, it is a GUI wrapper around vagrant projects so that you can use the power of vagrant and virtual machines without the learning curve. To start with, I’m targeting support for DrupalVM.
Here’s a quick status update of the project to date. It’s still not ready for prime time, but this will give you an idea of where the project is headed. If you’re a bleeding-edge kind of person or would like to contribute, head over to the Lunchbox project page and submit some PRs!
I spent the majority of the weekend converting and streamlining my hosting setup. The end result was a lot of learning and information – way to much to write up a step-by-step manual. However, I do want to share some notes and resources I found along the way.
The upshot – this site now runs off a Raspberry Pi!
DrupalVM is a great project with some very complete documentation. However, for some reason I kept having difficulty getting it to work on Ubuntu despite seemingly straightforward instructions including a reference to DigitalOcean documentation (usually very good) about getting NFS running on Debian/Ubuntu.
After a few mis-starts, I think I have found the magic combination to getting it all running on a new Ubuntu-based system. As with most things, it seems incredibly simple in hindsight. One major prerequisite is that NFS does not work reliably with home directory encryption turned on. If you must run with this you’ll have to turn off NFS support in DrupalVM. Once you have that squared away, here’s the basic process:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nfs-common
apt-get install nfs-kernel-server
sudo apt-get install virtualbox – you may need to make sure your software sources is configured correctly, usually needs to include Canonical Partners
The key pieces, I’ve found, are installing the
nfs-common package and the
The end result is a DrupalVM with NFS (much more performant) with magical DNS capability (via vagrant-hostsupdater, no need to edit
/etc/hosts). If you add new sites to the config file just run
vagrant provision to quickly get them configured in the VM and added to your local DNS without losing anything else or needing to wait for a full VM rebuild.
One more pro-tip: mimicking the Acquia cloud platform is super-simple with DrupalVM since it includes a yml override file to match Acquia’s hosting environment.
NOTE: This post was released after it was written as to not spoil the surprise 🙂
Today was a friend’s birthday, a friend who has obsessively fallen in love with Mad Max: Fury Road. So when I saw this Mad Max cookie cutter on Thingiverse while browsing I knew I had to print it out for him.
I actually printed each part separately, but you get the idea. Here’s to hoping the cookies it helps make don’t taste too much like motor oil or sand.
They print flat and then you insert the wings into the flat body so they stand out from the wall a little bit. I didn’t bother to sand them since they are only seen from a distance and I like the texture on their backs – makes the almost look furry. I did use a dab of Elmers glue on each wing to ensure they would stay together, and taped them to the wall with masking tape so I wouldn’t damage the paint.