DrupalVM + NFS on Ubuntu

DrupalVM is a great project with some very complete documentation. However, for some reason I kept having difficulty getting it to work on Ubuntu despite seemingly straightforward instructions including a reference to DigitalOcean documentation (usually very good) about getting NFS running on Debian/Ubuntu.

After a few mis-starts, I think I have found the magic combination to getting it all running on a new Ubuntu-based system. As with most things, it seems incredibly simple in hindsight. One major prerequisite is that NFS does not work reliably with home directory encryption turned on. If you must run with this you’ll have to turn off NFS support in DrupalVM. Once you have that squared away, here’s the basic process:

  1. sudo apt-get update
  2. sudo apt-get install nfs-common
  3. apt-get install nfs-kernel-server
  4. sudo apt-get install virtualbox  – you may need to make sure your software sources is configured correctly, usually needs to include Canonical Partners
  5. sudo apt-get install vagrant
  6. sudo apt-get install ansible
  7. sudo apt-get install git
  8. git clone https://github.com/geerlingguy/drupal-vm.git
  9. cd drupal-vm
  10. sudo ansible-galaxy install -r provisioning/requirements.yml --force
  11. vagrant plugin install vagrant-hostsupdater
  12. vagrant plugin install vagrant-vbguest
  13. [edit config files]
  14. vagrant up

The key pieces, I’ve found, are installing the nfs-common  package and the vagrant-vbguest  plugin.

The end result is a DrupalVM with NFS (much more performant) with magical DNS capability (via vagrant-hostsupdater, no need to edit /etc/hosts). If you add new sites to the config file just run vagrant provision  to quickly get them configured in the VM and added to your local DNS  without losing anything else or needing to wait for a full VM rebuild.

One more pro-tip: mimicking the Acquia cloud platform is super-simple with DrupalVM since it includes a yml override file to match Acquia’s hosting environment.

Mediocre Cookies

NOTE: This post was released after it was written as to not spoil the surprise 🙂

Today was a friend’s birthday, a friend who has obsessively fallen in love with Mad Max: Fury Road. So when I saw this Mad Max cookie cutter on Thingiverse while browsing I knew I had to print it out for him.

Cura: Mad Max cookie cutter
Cura: Mad Max cookie cutter

I actually printed each part separately, but you get the idea. Here’s to hoping the cookies it helps make don’t taste too much like motor oil or sand.

Assembled cookie cutter

Bats in the House!

The kids and I decided to make some decorations for Halloween with the 3D printer. Our first attempt was these cute little bats from Thingiverse.

They print flat and then you insert the wings into the flat body so they stand out from the wall a little bit. I didn’t bother to sand them since they are only seen from a distance and I like the texture on their backs – makes the almost look furry. I did use a dab of Elmers glue on each wing to ensure they would stay together, and taped them to the wall with masking tape so I wouldn’t damage the paint.

Marvin the Monitor

Last night I wanted to test out tweaking my layer height on my 3D printer. I picked the Marvin Keychain from Thingiverse since it was small and had some details I thought would be a good test. He can hang out on top of my printer and monitor the following jobs as they are run.

As you can see in the image below, I’ve set the layer height to 0.15mm and also increased the speed to 125mm/s.

Marvin layer height test
Marvin layer height test


Overall I was happy with the test. I have some sanding and cleanup to do on the print, and I can also use the print as a test on finishing and painting. If you consider how zoomed in that photo is (it’s a very small model) it didn’t turn out too bad. I do wonder if printing at a slower speed would melt the layers together a bit more, though.